Thursday, April 7, 2011

What am I doing here?

I realize that maybe this should have been the 1st blog post... But I've never been one to do things traditionally, so why start now?

I've wanted to start a blog for awhile now, maybe its a personal indulgence thing, but I've always really enjoyed what I've had to say about things, and though most of my teachers didn't appreciate it, I think most of my peers if nothing else, got a kick out of it.

As I got older and have attempted to find my place in this world I realize that no matter what I do professionally, the thing that feeds me is human interaction, is feeling like maybe something that I say or do, big or small, may have some sort of (hopefully positive) effect on others.

By profession (aka: 9-5) I am an event coordinator, this can mean a lot of things. Simply put I help other people plan, organize, design, their events. I started doing this initially because I've always been very good at organizing, and love to make lists, but as I have grown I realized that what I truly get out of it is being able to help ease the stress and anxiety people have when putting on events. If I can make my client smile throughout the process, and keep them happy and smiling the day of their event, that's a day that I go home fulfilled. The rest is just par for the course. (here is me, happy and stress free on my big day :)



Personally, I have always been the "mummy" of my friends, the one who takes care of you when you get too drunk, the one who calms you when you freak out, the one who shows you a different perspective when you are tunnel visioning yourself into nowheresville in a hurry, the list goes on... I guess innately, I am good at helping people, and I don't mean to toot my own horn, its something that I have learned about myself over time, and that makes me happy. When people come to me for help, usually they leave feeling better, selfishly: best feeling ever! That's what provoked me to do my certification in life coaching last year. I realize more and more that helping people is something I'd love to be able to focus on professionally, make a living at, for real, not just as a bi product of my "real" career, but as an official compliment to it.

So I did the certification, and was pleased to see that many of the techniques I was taught are ones I have always used instinctively, which reaffirmed my thought I was going in the right direction.

The issue I have now been facing is that life coaching is kind of ambiguous, I myself don't really believe that there is one true definition to what it means, or what a life coach does. I know clearly what a life coach is not (a therapist, a doctor, etc) but I believe that what we ARE is an individual focus, per life coach, their strengths, their passions.

In my case,  I am still discovering, I know the broader answer is 'someone who helps', and I believe that will be in many different capacities. Getting back to where I started (ish!), is that the issue is that this makes it pretty hard to market one self.

That is where the blog came in, a venue to get the thoughts out, to provoke discussion, to tell tales of how I use the life coaching in my current day to day professional life, get feedback, in hopes that it will appeal to people, help me view myself a bit more objectively, and be able to clarify who I want to be to my future clients as a life coach, and how I can best help them, as well as how I can best use my skills to reach my ultimate goal of helping people in general.

As this is a work in progress I can't really tell you exactly what to expect, if I had to guess it will be probably me a mix of random thoughts, stories from my day, anecdotes from my life... 

I welcome all questions, feedback, debates, bring em' on!

Mostly, I hope you like what I have to say, and want to hear more!

No comments:

Post a Comment