Thursday, April 21, 2011

Don't Be Afraid, go after what you want!

*Disclaimer: This author is using some more surface examples to describe a deeper rooted concept and feels sometimes the message gets through more clearly this way ;)*

So many of us can give into being dominated by fear.

That fear may be of heights, commitment, going after what you want in life, being different, the list (as I am sure you know) can go on and on (and on!).

I have always been someone who has loved going against the grain, have always tried to be different, and unique. (Once in elementary school we had a free dress day, so I wore my pj's, the school hated it! Not only that, but it happened to be the day that I was selected to be the "monitor" so I spent the day running around doing errands for the office so no one missed it! ahhh fond memories!)

In my line of work this is extremely relevant, especially this time of year with wedding season upon us. I work full time at a venue called Espace Reunion an industrial space where we do all kinds of events from corporate to private. As summer nears we go into full blown wedding season. We are a super NON traditional venue for weddings, so the couples that come to us are usually the kinds that want their wedding to be totally different from anything anyone else as ever done or seen.

Selfishly, these events are the ones that I enjoy the most, that challenge me and get my creative juices flowing :)

For my clients, this can often be attached to FEAR. Fear that their guests will hate it, fear that the event won't succeed, when spending that kind of money on anything taking risks is a hard thing to do.

This is a perfect example of scenarios where my life coaching skills become relevant. It's an amazing thing to be able to help someone realize and feel confident in their choices, their artistic visions, especially given that their wedding SHOULD (here's my only should in Jessica's Book of Wedding Rules :) represent who they are; individually and as a couple.

In weddings, there are so many ways to make your event stand out and be unique, while absolutely still being beautiful, and classy. My wedding clients at Espace Reunion can attest to this fact.

It's amazing how wonderful it feels to face a fear, whether it be one like this, or even one like me starting this blog! Actually starting it wasn't the fear, letting people read it was! There was a certain vulnerability attached to putting myself out there like this, and I am so happy that I faced it. The feed back I have been getting from all of  you is wonderful, and I appreciate it so much, thank you!

It has started a bit of a snowball effect for me along that theme, I recently approached a friend of mine who started and amazing site that I have been following religiously where she showcases unique ideas for weddings called My Montreal Wedding. I had told my husband a few weeks ago that I was so impressed by the site, by what she was doing with it, how it was focusing on exactly what I look for and appreciate most about weddings and how I felt this need to contact her, so I did! She has now welcomed me into the My Montreal Wedding team and I can't wait to see where that takes me! (Thank you Selina!)

I don't know that I would have been so bold a few months ago!

We have all heard it before, but life is too short to live with regrets! When faced with a fear, ask yourself "What's the worst that can happen?", in my opinion if the answer doesn't involve a life threatening situation, or one that might get you arrested :), or hurt someone in a way that you will regret, then GO FOR IT!

Let me know a fear that you have faced and where it took you! I'm compiling a top ten list... but I have a feeling it may end up being a top 20. 30, or 100 list! There's no fear too small, I want to hear them all!

And in the meantime check out what I do!

www.mymontrealwedding.ca & go to our Facebook page and feel free to "Like" it! https://www.facebook.com/mymontrealwedding

&
www.espacereunion.ca

(what good is a blog if not to use it for a little shameless self promotion!?)

Enjoy some visuals of Espace Reunion!








1 comment: