Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wedding Highs and Lows... Prepare Yourself!

The precious time period in which one gets to call themselves "fiancé" is absolutely incredible.

Every time you say a sentence where you normally would have said "my boyfriend", "my girlfriend", or "my partner" all of a sudden you are saying fiancé, which insinuates you are getting married, which means that no matter who you are talking to, family member, friend, or stranger, you will immediately be congratulated!


Side note: When I say the word fiancé I like to say it in a British accent and drag it out like a some British dude who wears a monocle, and frowns permanently would say it...

This Guy!!!


This time period is filled with celebratory events as well; engagement parties, showers, bachelor/ette parties, it is an amazing time in one's life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhFVZsk3XEs

My friends and I have discussed often how this time period feels like you are a celebrity having their 15 minutes of fame.


The thing about this time is that eventually it will end! And when you are in it, it is really hard to remind yourself of that. I do NOT say this to be a downer, I say it because if you are someone like me, who planned every detail herself, and got super duper into the whole process, it can be a bit of a shock when it all ends. And what I have discussed with many recently married people is that had we simply been reminded of that fact a few times throughout the process we could have mentally (and maybe emotionally) prepared for it a little bit better.

More importantly, keeping that in perspective, would force people to focus in on emphasizing and appreciating the things about the process that are most important to them (for me this was the ceremony, writing my vows, seeing my groom for the first time...), hopefully leading to them enjoying it all more, getting absolutely everything they want out of it all, with no regrets, and less shock once it's all over. You can even go as far as to get excited to enjoy the supreme calm after the storm, take a honeymoon, or at least a few days off, and get ready for absolute nothingness, that can be just as lovely!



*And don't worry,  you will still get congratulated for at least a year after the wedding. Being a newlywed is pretty fun too! ;) *

No comments:

Post a Comment