Saturday, July 30, 2011

Balance, so important, yet so easily diresgarded



In my opinion, balance is one of the most important things in life. At the same time it's one of the easiest things to disregard.

In the world of 9-5 it's so easy to get caught up in work, and responsibilities, to put other people's needs in front of your own, forget to make the time for YOU!

It's something that I struggle with every day. My boss may disagree, as he always tells me how crazy it is that I can leave work and turn off completely, but it doesn't necessarily mean that I am taking the time to do things for ME. Often I take care of things that i can't do while at work; groceries, cleaning, bills, time with friends, or family etc.. I CAN leave work and completely let myself forget about it, but usually it's just so that i can focus on my other obligations in life.

I am a huge believer in making sure that we all allocate some time amongst our busy lives to do things that are "selfish"- and i don't mean this in the way that people usually associate with the word ie: as a negative. I mean allocate a few hours a week, or month, to do something that YOU want to do, regardless of what's happening around you. For some that is sitting on a terrace people watching, for others its an art class, reading a book, having a spa day, whatever it means for you i truly believe that doing this will equal each of us feeling more whole, more content, and overall more satisfied in our lives, and in our skin!

I have been working like CRAZY this summer! As an event coordinator summer = wedding season, which for me personally = very little time for myself. My husband and I have been working late nights, weekends, it feels like it never stops. So we decided early on in the summer that when we had a free week we would go on a vacation. Not the adventuring kind, the kind where you can sit by a pool and indulge in mindless activities for 7 FULL DAYS, no cell phones, no computers, only each other, the ocean, yummy dinners, late night dancing, and most likely... many a cocktail ;)

So, we are off! To Jamaica this week, I said SAYONARA to work and in a few more sleeps am on my way. IPod stocked, a good book, and nothing other than some summer dresses, packed!

Until I return, try to to think about what I've said, drop me a line about what YOU do to stay balanced in your day to day, week to week, or month to month life! (jessica@aflalo.com) And remember, being "selfish" in this respect will not only benefit you, but will benefit all the people around you, who get to enjoy you most when you are stress free and content within yourself!!

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment